What’s your favourite Building in BC?
We asked you to identify your favourite BC building in which you might live, work or play and you did, nominating more than 400 buildings from across BC. The public voted from amongst those buildings to identify both the most popular building overall, and the top 25 in each region. From those a judging panel has met to determine the top 3 in each region!
We thank Michael Kluckner, author of Vanishing BC and noted heritage expert, Shelley Fralic, journalist & heritage afficianado, and award winning architect, David Hewitt, AFBC Chair, for accepting the challenget to form our panel of judges. The judges met on the 29th of October, and considered each nominee against criteria of:
sentimental value, &
The winners will be announced on Monday morning at 6:50am on the CBC’s Early Edition, so make a date to listen!
To celebrate 100 years of architecture in British Columbia, the Architecture Foundation of British Columbia is proud to announce the 100 Best Buildings Contest.
This spring we invited all BC residents to nominate their favourite building in which to live, work or play. Nominations could be any structure or building in British Columbia that you loved best, for whatever reason. Nominations closed August 4 – BC Day. You have had your say and the winner of the most popular building is soon to be announced; watch this space!
Schedule of events:
- FEBRUARY 19, 2014 – Contest announced at BUILDEX Vancouver
- APRIL 2014 – Nominations Open
- AUGUST 4, 2014 – Nominations Close on BC Day
- AUGUST 8, 2014 – Public Voting Begins – the top 25 from each region will be chosen
- SEPTEMBER 25-28, 2014 – IDS WEST Visit our Booth and discover our ‘Architecture at Play’ Community Structure
- SEPTEMBER 28 @4pm – Public Voting Closes
- OCTOBER 2014 – Judges will determine the top 3 winning buildings from each region*
* The “winning” nomination will receive a plaque, which will be given to the building owner.